Fearless, that's her. She is stronger then me. I don't know how but she knows something that i don't, and you can tell by the way she moves. Today was the first day of preschool.....it was awful. She got dressed and ready to go. When we arrived i pointed out her teacher. She ran right up to her and said, "I'm Emma, whats your name?" As i watch I'm so proud, but then my pride turns into a deep seeded fear. She doesn't know anyone here. All my own insecurities come to the surface and i feel my face burning and my heart aching. What if the other kids all know each other and she is left out. What if they are mean, or don't play with her. Now i look like a fool, I'm the only mom still watching the kids play, holding Cate, i cant move. I feel paralyzed with fear for my beautiful, wonderful daughter. Then she runs up to a girl and asks her name, the girl answers and they run off together at first, and then something weird happens, they both split into different directions at the same time. I feel calm, i feel fine, she is fine. She has more courage and self assurance then i could ever muster up. She smiles and plays and i realize she doesn't have these stupid insecurities. The things that I've carried around my entire life, my daughter is free.
When i get home i sit down to James Taylor and this song starts to play and its all about Emma. "I feel fine anytime shes around me now, shes around me now almost all the time, if I'm well you can tell shes been with me now, shes been with me now quite a long long time and i feel fine"
I hope she always moves like that, with self esteem and courage, maybe someday she can teach me how its down. Until then I'm proud that she figured it out all by her self.
2 comments:
Written so perfectly by a good mom!
EXACTLY what I have felt too...
That was such a sweet post...I'm glad I read it after the boys first day, otherwise I would've cried!
Post a Comment